Monday, November 19, 2007

I Know What They Did Last Century...

The Bush Administration was completely against the congress passing a resolution declaring the Armenian Genocide (I don’t need congress—I have my own opinion) in 1915 to have been genocide. The effort to bring it to a vote seems to have died.

As a descendant of Armenians, I have always felt strongly that something needed to be done or said regarding the atrocities committed by the Ottoman Empire prior to World War I. And many things have been written. Twenty-nine countries have passed resolutions declaring it to have been genocide.

But is that the job of government? To define history? And what if they voted against it? Does it mean it didn’t happen, that it was just the Ottoman Empire responding to a rebellion? No, what happened over 90 years ago will remain a horrible nightmare for 1.5 million Armenians regardless of what the House of Representatives and the Senate say.

And why now, Congress? The timing and the people in favor of this are suspect at best. I have never agreed with Speaker Pelosi on anything and I’m not going to start now. I’m not disagreeing that the genocide happened, of course it did. It is as much a fact as the sun coming up each day. I disagree with making it the business of congress to play historical fact checker.

I really think Ms. Pelosi is using the grief of the Armenian people to try to cause difficulty for the war on terror effort and for the White House. Well, this Armenian isn’t falling for it. I don’t care what you want to say, for political purposes, happened in 1915. Shut up.