Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Don't blame me...I only had them an hour a week...

I went to the volunteer meeting for junior achievement and they gave me my assignment…the junior high class at our local middle school. 

I was there with a few other volunteers.  One of them claimed not to understand what he had agreed to do.  I don’t know what he thought, but he said he was terrified when the director told them he would, indeed, have to talk to them.  And he carries a gun, for pete’s sake.   

So, on a weekly basis, I’ll be facing 30 junior high kids.  I have some experience in this age group.  I taught Sunday School for a group of junior high boys for a while and I can with all confidence say that a few of them turned out well and most of them (to date) avoided jail or boys camp. 

I taught them vital things (with a Biblical theme), like that the calendar was stupid (no, the world wasn’t going to end when the year 2000 came) and that you needed more than $2,000 a year to survive on your own.   And that you didn’t necessarily need $100,000.  

I told them I’d teach them about whatever they wanted to know.  They said women.  

I told them I’d have to bring in a guest speaker.