Friday, February 6, 2009

Bowling for Columbine

I really miss bowling.

The pins just sit there and it's your job to try to knock them over.

I was in a league for a couple of years and loved the weekly grind of trying to help my team win while sneaking drinks of Coors Light (This was also before I realized how bad Coors Light was, but that's for a different time) between frames. Also, I loved the challenge of trying to find something at the alley to eat that wasn't deep fried.

It was a church league and you had to make sure the team you were bowling against were "cool" because some teams would get mad and try even harder to beat you if they saw you with a beer.

The alley was a smoke-free facility, but eating four chili dogs was okay.

One night, the child of one of my teammates lost Manny the Manatee (stuffed animal) somewhere in the alley. I, of course, sensitive to the plight of this little girl began to sing, "Oh manny, I lost you in the bowling alley..."

It's the only time her mother ever told me to shut up. She probably had wanted to before, but this time she gave into temptation.

And I know I deserved it.