Friday, February 20, 2009

Broadcast News

Today the news department at Real Country decided to do the news at noon on location from the city hall.

Things went fine for about 40 seconds, at which time the line went dead. The fact that I was interviewing a state representative was embarrassing enough, but when you add on that he also owns a radio station, (our competitor in town) it made for extra shamefullness.

I got us back on the air for about four or five more minutes, enough to get my guest out of the way and the weather forecast done, but that was about it.

(Now, no one will know about the Revival at the United Pentecostal Church with Brother Price...unless they read this blog)

After my interview ended (and I no longer needed two microphones), I pulled the headphones out and just did the rest of the news on my cell phone. This was the safest thing to do to avoid more problems. But if you think people talking in public look like fools, how about the guy doing the weather forecast into his cell phone?

But just as I was beginning to get used to the stares, the line dropped and the broadcast ended abruptly as the phone hung up. I was in mid-sentence about jobs with the census bureau.

News Flash...Dial Tones Working in Bolivar!

I guess WE were the news of the day…local radio station manned by incompetents. Actually, the reason was a faulty cell phone and not enough bars, but the general public doesn’t know that. Instead we just looked like idiots.

I’m glad it’s Friday.