Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Doors

The story of Jim Morrison, his music and his hobbies.

I thought it was poignant that during the movie (on cable), they kept playing ads for drug and alcohol rehab facilities. This is what is called targeted advertising, I suppose.

The rehab facilities are always shown as nice shady lawns and benches to sit on while people stroll leisurely in white. It looks like a vacation. People bring you things and talk nice to you. I think if I went, I wouldn't want to leave.

The way I understand it, people take drugs to escape, to feel safe, to feel away from reality. So when you bottom out and admit you need help, they send you right where you were trying to go in the first place.

To me, rehab should be a brutish daily grind complete with a chain gang and hamburger helper for every meal. Nothing but water to drink. No cable. Low flow shower heads. And a promise that you’ll be back if you don’t kick the habit.

Otherwise, why would you try?