Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Grosse Pointe Blank

Typical story. Kill-for-hire hit man decides to take up another lifestyle, but his former colleagues want him to continue, his competition wants to eliminate him and everyone else is somewhat appalled by his resume.

I’m sure his first job interview involved the question of what he had been doing for the last ten years, as “professional killer” usually keeps you out of the final interview pool. He probably left that un-filled in.

Having a gap in one’s resume is something we were told to guard against when we were youths. In other words, it was wise of me to not put in notice at Arby’s until the gig at Burger King was guaranteed.

But when I got to the “Home of the Whopper,” I found that I really missed the Roast Beef Sandwich, the Ham-n-Cheddar, and the curly fries back at Arby’s. The hours at the BK Lounge were less stressful, sure, but sometimes, I missed the pressure of having a busload pull into the parking lot.

I had left the Arby’s in good standing, but it didn't make sense to go back. I liked Burger King…but I wasn’t used to getting mayonnaise on my hands. And I was terrified the customers would just laugh at me when I asked, “Welcome to Burger King, Can I take your order?”

But it was like an ocean stood between me and my old life of making Mocha shakes. I’d thrown away my Arby’s uniforms and bought Burger King ones. I was committed to my new job. And sick to my stomach with uncertainty. There were a lot of Burger places out there and I was worried that my new place wouldn’t work out. I worried that I wasn’t the guy that could actually pull off “having it my way.”

So, for a while, I hid in the cooler doing inventory on pickles. I busied myself counting sesame seeds on the buns. I built a tower out of those cardboard crowns that reached all the way to the ceiling. I went to the dumpster for no reason.

I still don’t know how it worked out…