Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Mississippi Burning

I don’t live in Mississippi.

But I went there on Sunday and found out that the Olive Garden in Tupelo* doesn’t serve wine (or beer or liquor) on Sundays. I found this out because a friend of mine wished to enjoy a glass of wine with her meal this past week. But it was Sunday, we were told. No boozing.

These kinds of laws make a lot of sense (sarcasm) because she really was torn between attending services and getting rip-roaring drunk while blaspheming.

I have no idea what this law is trying to prevent. It’s not like she then said, “I guess since I can’t get loaded let’s go find a church to attend instead of eating lunch.”

Now, I’m not 100% sure the crazy non-drinking Christians are the reason behind this one-day-a-week prohibition, but I’m willing to be 99.78% sure.

And if the public believes that these people represent accurately who God is (a Supreme Being with a bunch of rules and the desire to whack you when you screw up) the lie is even worse. This brand of legalism has God acting as a big Karma Doll.

I wish these zealots would cease telling me what to do (and when and where I can do it) and instead offer the truth. The grace offered to us by God through Jesus Christ is way better than the list of rules these idiots have “made up” in order to save me from myself.

If you don’t want to drink, don’t. I don’t care. But please keep your laws off my beverage choice.

*in Spanish that would be “your hair.” But, apparently, not of the dog.