Friday, July 24, 2009

Because "Ebony and Ivory" wasn't accurate...

It was a United Nations moment. A non-English speaking man of Mexican descent speaking with a non-Spanish speaking man of American descent on the streets of our (apparently) ethnically diverse city.

The non-Spanish speaking man was trying to convey to the non-English speaking man something of great importance, it seemed. There was gesturing. A lot of gesturing. The non-English speaking man was trying to understand, but it was clear it wasn’t working.

I decided to go to the rescue. It would make me feel good (not to mention look good) to help bridge the gap between two men so intent on understanding one another. Self-pleased at the good deed I was about to do, I softly hummed "We are the World" to myself as I approached them.

“Excuse me,” I said to the non-Spanish speaking man. “What are you trying to tell him?”

The non-Spanish speaking man looked at me, paused and said, “I’m trying to ask him if he’ll give me a dollar.”