Saturday, April 5, 2008

Divorce sucks...

I have kept my mouth shut for a long time on this one. It may be a record.

My friend is out of work. We don’t need to pass the hat…he has been blessed, deservedly so, I think.

But he didn’t work for the money, really. He led a church that I attended for many years. He told me the truth and expected it from me.

His leaving has seen people who sat next to each other in church for years, who ate dinner together and who shared their lives separate.

He didn’t ask them to separate, but the reasons given (or not given) for him leaving are vague and contentious. The ruling body (we are Presbyterians) found that there are no chargeable offenses by either the elders of the church or him. This is good news. We knew it all along, but now we have the backing of an outside ruling body.

There is much being said on both sides. The saddest thing is that there are sides.

I’ve read the thoughts of wise men. On both sides.

I have also read the thoughts of one person who should have the SEND button on their email taken away.

I’ve argued over email. I’ve talked on the phone. I’ve prayed.

But I haven’t worried. They will someday reconcile. I hope it is soon.