Monday, January 5, 2009

Casablanca

The idea that Ilsa would just happen to come by the “gin joint” (on another continent) run by Rick, who she was in love with in Paris right before she found out her husband hadn’t been murdered by the Nazis after all, is just silly. It’s too much of a coincidence that they would ever see each again.

I once lived in a town with an ex-girlfriend there. The town had about six thousand people (as opposed to two continents). I never saw her by accident, except one night in the gym when she was kissing another guy.

The guy was a short, skinny geek that hadn’t had a girlfriend before (not that I knew of) and here he was kissing my cheerleader girlfriend near where (the location in the gym) I used to sit on the bench for the basketball team.

But it wasn’t that he was kissing her that bothered me the most, although that was a large part of the problem.

No, the thing that bothered me most was that it occurred to me his type (skinny geek) was the kind of guy she liked…

Anyway, the idea that after all those years Ilsa would walk into Rick’s place was just a little out of my believable zone. But that’s why it was made into a movie, I suppose.