Friday, January 9, 2009

Fargo

This time it’s a car salesman. Tired of selling Buicks for his father-in-law, he resorts to hiring two idiots to kidnap his wife for money to be extorted from the same mentioned father-in-law.

The movie stars William H. Macy and Francis McDormand, who both attended the same liberal arts college that I did. I graduated. Not so sure about them.

It’s a small place (800 or so students) in the hills of West Virginia. The nearest gas station was about 8 miles away, along a horrible winding road that claimed a few lives while I was a student. The town only had a old-time general store, another general store that also sold beer but didn't have hardware, and a bar.

We now take time out for the real country music lyric of the day….

Well, I guess it was back in 63
When eating my cooking got the better of me,
So I asked this little girl I was going with to be my wife.
Well, she said she would, so I said “I do”
But I’d have said I wouldn’t if I had just knew
How saying “I do” was gonna screw up all of my life!


The bar was (still is) called Bubba’s. It was open to all who possessed a college ID, although they stamped your hand (if you weren’t 21) so the bartenders would be able to guess with greater accuracy how many underage drinkers they served each night. Students drank along with faculty on a regular basis. You could walk from there to your dorm in under 15 minutes (20 if you forgot where it was). The food was good.

At least that’s what I heard. One night while I was in the library someone came by and told me about it.