Thursday, January 22, 2009

Pretty in Pink

The story of a girl who has an obsession with going to the prom. And wearing a pink dress, of course.

I have memories of this movie for a couple of reasons:
1. I went to this movie with a girl that skipped going to King’s Island Amusement Park with her senior class just so she could spend the day with me. I think we ate at Pizza Hut.
2. I had the soundtrack until someone “borrowed” it and didn’t give it back. Shame on you, Sharleen, wherever you are. However, I don’t have a cassette player anymore, so I guess I’m okay with it.

But now it’s time for the real country music lyric of the day (although it is more like “of the week” at the present time).

Are we rollin' downhill like a snowball headed for hell?
With no kind of chance for the flag or the liberty bell?
I wish a Ford or a Chevy would still last ten years like they should.
Is the best of the free life behind us now and are the good times really over for good?

I wish Coke was still cola and a joint was a bad place to be.
It was back before Nixon lied to us all on TV.
Before Microwave ovens when a girl could still cook, and still would.
Is the best of the free life behind us now and are the good times really over for good ?


Anyway, the girl wants to go to the prom with a guy who drives a BMW, but (of course) there is another guy who has an obsession with the same girl but doesn’t have a chance in the world.

She just wants to be friends, to hijack his emotional support while turning her nose up at his more-than-plutonic advances. She called him “Ducky.” This should have told him that it wasn’t going anywhere. This sort of nickname-calling tends to stall romance.

But of course, she was surprised when her rejection upset him. Can someone explain to me why women do this?

I think I'll go buy a cassette player.