Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Something I'm sure everyone else has forgotten...I hope

Ten or so years ago, I threw up all over myself during church.

Well, that's what it felt like. This particular day, I made my public debut with a musical instrument.

I had played the banjo for a few years and practiced my song to be played during the offering for a few months. I could play it with my eyes closed, with a fox, in a box, or while reading clocks...etc, etc.

The morning of, things were different. I couldn't get it in tune. Fortunately, a friend quickly fixed that. I got in place and all of a sudden, it was time...and all of a sudden I was playing, missing notes and my timing was terrible. I was to play for three minutes, but by horrible providence (we are presbyterians...which takes luck out of it, but only adds to the cruelty of the situation when you consider God knew before the foundation of the world that I would be such a collosal failure) there was a second offering and thus, I was to play for three MORE minutes.

I just sat there, however...and my good friend Amy (the music director at church, who must have decided during the three minutes that I was NEVER playing again) saved me from further embarrassment and everyone else from further cringing by playing the piano for the three minutes during which I just sat there, numb.

I haven't played in public since. But I got a new banjo and I think I'm almost ready to go back out there into the great wide open.

But I'm going to try to get Amy to show up, just in case.