Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Writer's roadblock...the streets should be clear now for awhile...

Closure is a good, but mostly unachieved thing.

Once upon a time, I had a friend that unintentionally caused great harm. In truth, the harm was only part of a bigger catastrophe…but while closure was mostly reached on the rest of it, the incident in question hung over the heads of everyone in future maintenance of the relationship.

So the relationship died. It may have died anyway, who knows, but it killed things off quicker than natural causes.

I sure the friend has forgotten it in the current circumstances to which I hear they are in now. And my silence toward their current circumstances is expected. It would be more odd were I to appear back into their lives, with more than the casual happenstance our “relationship” has become. They’ve moved on and have bigger challenges than worrying about an April day more than 10 years ago.

I still think about that day…but it was part of a terrible episode that has no remedy, other than the life lived since then. For them, and the others…the players on the stage (both the supporting cast and the antagonistic) of the drama that was larger than life for a season…it is a long since faded memory, I’m sure.

It’s hard to mourn with those who turned their back on you when you were down. So I’ll mourn from afar. I’m sure there are others who could do much better, but this is all I’ve got right now.

And maybe that’s all they had back then.