Friday, June 27, 2008

HELP!

The Pros and Cons of having people help you move.

Pros: Obviously, help. People help load the truck and clean the house. A three-bedroom house job can be changed from three days to three hours.

They help you actually move less stuff. They say things like…”Why are you keeping that? Just throw that away!”

(this helped me get rid of my junior high school year book from 1979…the year I was sick the day photos were took and I didn’t get a retake and am not actually pictured in and has a rather embarrassing note to me in the back that starts, “2 sweet, 2 be…”)

They keep you company during the larger than realized job of taking everything you own and putting it into a 34 X 10 space where things won’t shift at 70 mph. Or they give you people to blame when they do shift.

We pause for a moment to introduce a new feature…The Real Country Music lyric o’ the day:
“I only want a big brew and little ol’ you.”

Cons: Sometimes, you take things with you (for various reasons including sentimental) no normal person would keep…things like 73 different golf instruction books or a cracked baseball bat from 1977. I always tried to carry these things on to the truck…the last thing I want is someone thinking…”I’m helping him move THIS?”

But, the biggest problem with people helping you move is that only really good friends will do it. So exactly when you are leaving somewhere (and some people) forever, these same people show up and help you do one of the toughest jobs there is…thus making you miss them all the more.

Stay in touch.