Thursday, June 19, 2008

*It isn't a "back windshield" unless you are in reverse...

While traveling for work, I used to ponder the great questions of life, the universe and the lives of flies.

If a fly zooms into your car right before you leave for a long trip, what happens when you arrive (perhaps hours later) and they fly back out? Are they lost forever, cut off from their family and friends? I think it is obvious they would be. Doesn’t anyone care?

I would think there are literally millions of fly milk cartons with faces of the missing on them.

(I don’t think about that one much, just every once in a while)

But this next one has bothered me for years.

If I’m traveling in a car going 70 m.p.h. and a fly is inside it, flying around, why doesn’t he smash into the back windshield*? Wouldn’t he have to fly 70 m.p.h. to keep up with the car? If he were outside the car he would have to…so why not inside the car? If he were sitting on the seat, I understand, he could just ride with the car. But he isn’t attached to anything!

Even if the windows are down he just rides along in mid-air. What am I missing?

I just don’t get it.