Thursday, June 26, 2008

Two men and a truck...a plutonic love story

After packing the U-Haul full of stuff, a friend remarked that it was amazing to him that a regular person would be allowed to drive such a rig.

(it’s more than 34 feet long—a tractor trailer is about 60 feet or so, but 34 feet is plenty)

I had to agree. The 15-mile trip from the rental facility to the house was highlighted by two running-off-the road and four curb incursions.

In short, I was terrified of the impending trip. I was terrified to back the thing out of the driveway.

With help, I managed to get it out of the driveway. Then, one of the friends that helped load up suggested that he go on the trip with us.

Holli offered him food, lodging and new clothes. At this point, I intervened and offered food, lodging and used clothes. He took us up on it.

So he rode along, helping clear traffic, consulting on whether I was about to hit the car sitting at the stop light during my left turns and letting me know that all the road signs that I hit bounced back, good as new. We didn’t keep track of the curbs I hit (probably double figures) and we had a great time strategically plotting the entry and exit of gas stations, restaurants and a hotel.

His son was in the area on a charter flight (he was flying it) and picked him up about an hour after we arrived. It was a long day for all of us…but a great day nonetheless.

Part of the fun is getting there…unloading is another story.

But that’s tomorrow.