Monday, June 30, 2008

Seems like every 50 feet or so...

We went in search of a restaurant called Vinegar Joe’s.

No, that’s not a country music lyric, it’s a restaurant in Arlington, TN. We found it using the GPS (Garmin brand) that I bought last week.

The reason I bought it was that I was lost all the time. Apparently, four years in the Dominican Republic has robbed me of my sense of direction. (Ask the people in the van with me in Pittsburgh last month)

It is pretty good and seemingly worth the money. You put in your destination and it gives you (out loud) directions to get there. You can search for restaurants, vineyards or gas stations. I can’t believe how many Subway Sandwich Shops or Cracker Barrels there are...

We pause for the Real Country Music Lyric of the Day: The jailer had a wife and let me tell you she was awful. But she brought that hot bologna every day.

Sorry, where was I?

The GPS can tell you how fast you are going, where to turn and even what to do if you decide you don’t like their idea on how to get there. It just re-calculates the route for you if you don’t make the turns they suggest.

It’s kind of like someone that tells you what to do, but is right there to help when you ignore their advice. It’s doesn’t say, “I told you so!” nor does it say, “Now why should I continue to tell you when you refuse to listen to me?”

It tells you when you are scheduled to arrive. It tells you how fast you got there and what your top speed was on the way.

But it didn’t tell us that Vinegar Joe’s was closed.