Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Journey...so far

Once upon a time I was told that my life could have a “do-over.” This made me quite angry, since the person suggesting the “do-over” was causing the reason for it being necessary.

(The fact that she said she was quoting Billy Crystal in the movie “City Slickers” didn’t help either)

I wanted things to work out the way I planned. But it didn’t.

Now, I can’t imagine things being any different than the way they are. I can’t say I ever wanted kids, but I quickly changed my mind when they arrived. They are all the difficulty I imagined, but I didn’t factor the joy. The joy makes the difficulty seem trivial.

I didn’t want a wife that could think on her own and argue with me (although that’s not really the fun part), but I wouldn’t want it any other way with anyone else. I can't believe my fortune.

I did, however, always want a different mother-in-law. And I got a great one.

So to all the women in my life: Mom, Edna Lou, Gracie and especially Holliday…thanks…Happy Valentine’s Day.

The “do-over” has worked out great.