Thursday, March 13, 2008

And the breakfast was terrible...

A friend of mine mentioned the other day that he “backpacked” across Europe the year after he graduated from high school.

I was impressed that he would strap on a pack and hike all over Europe, sleeping outdoors and probably hunting for and cooking his own food and I told him so.

He replied he had a Eurorail Pass (unlimited train service) and stayed in Youth Hostels.

I stayed in a Youth Hostel for about two weeks in Paris. I could write ten blog entries on the things that happened. It ranged from hillarious to frightening.

(it actually made you hostile...maybe that's where the name comes from)

Anyway, I was impressed with his Hostel endurance, but don’t understand how he could call it “backpacking.”

Since when do we use our luggage or carrying devices to describe our actions?

“Last August we ‘samsonited’ to the outer banks of North Carolina….”

“I’m ‘walleting’ over to Wal-Mart, but I’ll be back in a few minutes...”

Don’t tell me you “backpacked” around Europe. You road the train, you stayed in hostels, and you ate in restaurants. It’s called TRAVELING.

I’d write more but Holli needs to “purse” over to the grocery store. I’m “money-clipping” along.