Tuesday, March 11, 2008

A plea for help...

I ran a golf tournament for a cigar company Sunday. They were nice enough to give me a gift pack of cigars, a lighter, a certificate for throat cancer screening and a hat.

About six months before I moved to the Dominican Republic, I tried smoking cigars. I really liked them. I bought a humidor and everything. Holli bought me a really cool lighter, which was confiscated by airport security in Miami.

I wasn’t smoking every day, maybe one per week, with some brandy to wash it down.

Then, reality hit. Every night I smoked would be followed by a morning of dizziness, dry mouth, headache and a cough. This went on for a while until it hit me that the cigars were responsible for me feeling like I had aged 47 years every time I indulged. I needed two days to recover from one cigar. So I quit. I still like the smell though.

I’ll keep trying, but I can’t seem to find a bad habit that I like. I drink beer and other spirits, but I can’t find a hard liquor that really tastes good enough to drink large quantities of. I don’t like the consequences of drunkenness the morning after. I don't even like "during" much either .

Drugs never appealed to me, because being high AND in jail didn’t sound like much fun.

I like to play poker (for low stakes), but calling a bookie to put $400 down on the Super Bowl (or any other sporting event) isn’t tempting. And I would need 10 million dollars just laying around before I'd pony up $10,000 to play in the World Series of Poker. I'll play golf for a couple of dollars, but it doesn't make it more fun.

I’ve never liked cigarettes enough to get addicted and I don’t eat much chocolate or other things with sugar in them.

Am I forgetting something? Can someone please give me some ideas?