Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Things they don't tell you in college...

I retired from listening to new music around 1991. I just stopped being on the cutting edge, trying anything new. I’ve bought stuff produced later than that, but it is of the style consistent with what I already liked.

Before that, I listened to everything. Well, except country. I’ve begun to realize the irony in this.

(I’ve been listening to it to get ready for my career change. I’m up to thirty minutes at a stretch before I break down and cry. The one about the guy’s wife leaving him while their trailer was being repossessed during the tornado really gets to me. Today I'm going to try for 35 minutes.)

Anyway, one of the groups I liked in college was Erasure. I just liked the sound they produced, fast paced, and fun.

So last summer when they booked a concert here I got some tickets and we went.

Now either these gentlemen are very in touch with their feminine side or they are flaming homosexuals. I don’t care either way. The reason I say this is that one of them wore a pink jacket with a huge Marylin Monroe head on it. I guess that was what he grabbed from his closet when he came out of it. The other guy's attire was equally fancy.

And the music was not very good. They played none of the old stuff that I liked…in fact, through nine songs they hadn’t played anything I had ever heard in my life. It was like Frank Sinatra not singing “My Way” or “New York, New York” while wearing a Seguin gown and pearls on stage.

Well, kind of.