Friday, March 7, 2008

The Origins of Sport Series...Part I

I happened to catch a game of Rugby on the “telly” the other day and I was rather surprised that people would play more than one game of it per lifetime. Most of the uniforms were covered with blood and that was only during the warm-ups. I couldn’t figure out the rules except that it seemed wise to throw the ball to someone else whenever possible and to run from it when you didn’t have it.

Curious, I went to the internet to find the origin of the game. It wasn’t very interesting, so I made up my own.

It seems the citizens of the “town near the sea in Scotland” were mad at the people of the “town near the hill in Scotland.” And vice-versa. Mad enough to go to war, or at least get into a fistfight.

Knowing that the authorities would no doubt arrest and jail the people for a brawl, one of the citizens involved in the dispute invented the game of Rugby to settle it.

“Weel bring a bol, an no’un weel be the wiser!” he exclaimed triumphantly.


The winner got a fifth of Whiskey and the rights to the most beautiful girl in Scotland, whose marriage to the most beautiful man in the town of the winning team would be used to create a race of good looking people to populate the countryside.

There is no evidence of who won.