Monday, March 17, 2008

Roulette in the skies...

A few of us are planning a trip to the northern part of the island, to a place called Playa Grande. (I guess it’s a big beach.)

Anyway, my friend told me that is was a five hour drive. In this country, that’s a long way. And apparently the roads are a bit tough for the last hour or so. When someone here says the roads are tough…you may need AAA. And there is no AAA.

There are other options. There is an airline that flies around the island (here to Punta Cana and here to Playa Grande) for $25 per trip. The plane seats about 10 people and luggage. There is no beverage service or in-flight movie. It’s just some guy with a plane.

Now I love a bargain, but this is a bit too cheap. For $25, I can’t imagine something like a leaky valve or a missing wing would cause them to cancel the trip. And if the plane did go into a tailspin and everyone was screaming because we were about to crash, I can just imagine the pilot turning to the passengers and saying…

“What did you expect for $25?”