Thursday, March 6, 2008

Starting over...

I had a friend lose his job about two weeks ago.

He was great at it. The best I ever knew.

Things got complicated and he felt the best thing to do was to resign. From all I can tell, it got pretty ugly in the boardroom. He knows better than I, but I wish he had stayed.

I just worry about his heart. What do you do when you gave all you had and it didn’t work?

The customers were (and a few still are) outraged and dismayed. The company is still trying to explain it, and so far, they haven’t done a great job of it. It’s hard to explain why a successful operation would lose its’ most valuable asset, besides the product they promote.

But it’s a great product, and the next guy will do a good job, but it won’t be the same. People will come and go and the venture will continue. But again, it won’t be the same. He’d say that it shouldn’t be the same, things change. Ok, I can see that. But I don’t have to like it.

I just wish he were still there. I liked the way he presented the goods and made me feel good about giving my support. I knew I was backing a winner.

And, as good as he was at his job, he was (and is) a better friend. That’s why I’m not worried about him. He’ll be taken care of. The next company he works for will benefit greatly.

I wish him peace in the meantime.