Friday, March 21, 2008

The delicate balance of a healthy lifestyle...part one

When I first moved to the Dominican Republic, I played tennis a couple of days a week. I bought a racket and was really enjoying it. But, the friend I played with most of the time hurt his knee and we stopped playing for a bit, then we kind of forgot about it.

A couple of years later, I wasn’t playing tennis anymore, but I played basketball on Monday nights…just two of us, one on one for about an hour and a half. This was almost killing me…usually I was just happy to be alive afterward.

I played football (soccer) with the guys from the school a few times. I remember staring alot at the ground, trying to catch my breath.

I play a lot of golf, but that doesn’t count. The few times I have walked doesn’t count either. We play when we can and we are usually somewhat pressed for time. So we take a cart.

Last year, we started playing poker on Monday nights. No more basketball. No more tennis. Just drinking and gambling. Our poker host usually makes brautwurst or something equally unhealthy. The only exercise I get at poker is getting up to fix a drink or the calories I burn while sweating out a bluff.

And I never bluff…