Tuesday, May 26, 2009

And then he'd get to be on Oprah...

I’m watching TV last night and I see a commercial for Scientology.

I don’t want to get on L. Ron Hubbard’s bad side or anything, but if you have to advertise your RELIGION, it isn’t one.

What I don’t see are commercials for Christianity or Judaism. You do see churches advertise, yes, but the religion itself isn’t advertising.

Such as…
Hey you there on the couch! Don’t you think you’d look good in a beanie? Come join the world’s oldest religion!
or
Hey you there on the couch! We know a guy. You can meet him too. It won’t cost you a thing!

Now there are people out there putting forth this message using the media, but the relgion itself doesn't have a central office carving a PR formula to draw people in to their way to eternal bliss. And God Himself doesn't have a web site.

If there is a central office with a PR plan, it’s a business. Now I understand there are many that think churches are mere businesses (with a tax dodge) operating in the name of God. And I’m sure there are some doing just that.

But anyway, I'm not sure what they are advertising. If there is eternal life, it is given by a higher power...not by man saving himself...otherwise somebody would have comeback to prove his "way" worked. Wouldn't he?