Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Tires

I have to buy new tires for my car and I can’t believe how much they cost.

I mentioned this to a buddy of mine and he couldn’t believe the cost either, but told me that I wasn’t paying enough.

In the old days, you bought a new tire when the old one stopped being a tire and morphed into a pile of rubber, usually on the side of the road.

Now, feeling less excited about changing a tire in the dark or rain, I buy tires when the old ones quit passing the penny test or when my local mechanic tells me to.

I once had a flat tire in the middle of nowhere on the interstate in Southeastern Ohio. I can still feel the rush of the 18-wheelers going by threatening to knock my Renault Le Car off the tiny little jack I had it perched upon. And the excitement of knowing that the next flat tire would require a walk in the dark (it was about 3 am).

So tomorrow I’ll go and get four new tires, balanced and aligned. But maybe today one of them (I’m betting on the front left one) will help educate me as to where the jack is in my trunk and just how tight the lugnuts are fastened.

I just hope it isn’t raining.