Thursday, May 7, 2009

Ten minutes of my life...

It was raining as I climbed the steps at the public library. I had books to return and I wanted to read the newspaper.

I had sat down in the reading room and opened the paper to the sports section when someone tapped my paper. I lowered it and there, standing in front of me, was a small child with a big grin on his face and a book in his hand.

“Read this to me?” he asked.

I looked around…but didn’t see anyone. No parents running over to rescue him (or me).

“Uh,” I said, “Where’s your mommy or daddy?”

“Read this to me?” he asked again.

Still no one coming to the rescue. “Okay,” I said.

He got up in my lap and I read Green Eggs and Ham to him.

“Thanks. Bye,” he said getting down from my lap and running around the corner.

I never saw him again.