Tuesday, May 12, 2009

You've got to fight for your right...

I heard on the radio today (I’m out of town, I can’t get the station here) that everyone loves a party.

Well, not me. Not at least in the sense of the partying that was being discussed. Now I like good food, good drink and good conversation with a few people, but the parties involving loud music, kegs full of Milwaukee’s Best Light and/or trash cans full of Kool-Aid and Everclear is not my thing.

(now, I realize you may be reading this because you just googled “Kool-Aid and Everclear”…for you I have some advice…make sure you wash the cans out before you make the mix…and buy new ones, it’s worth it)

Anyway…I got invited to a party in the Paris suburbs one night…the women all dressed like they just came from a Robert Palmer video…there was champagne and cheese for party fare and they danced to the Bee Gees…this was 1991. I told them this was considered quite lame where I come from and they assured me that Disco was making a comeback.

Another time I got invited to a party (in the Dominican Republic) for a guy who had just finished his house. I went because I didn’t want to insult him by not showing up. When I got there I saw that the other one thousand people he invited felt the same way along with President Leonel Fernandez (the president of the country) and the Catholic Bishop. So while El Presidente gave him a key (or the combination) to the entire country, I made my way to the exit and walked the half-mile back to my car.