Wednesday, May 27, 2009

I never found out who the lady over there was...

During the grilling of hamburgers a night ago, the propane ran out. I’d been figuring this was about to happen about the last 10 times I went to grill, but yesterday was the day. I do have an extra tank, but hadn’t gotten around to filling it yet.

So off I went to Wal-Mart. I went in and the guy at the door (the greeter) had no idea what I should do. “Try the lady over there,” he suggested…it occurred to me he didn’t even work there, but he had the blue vest on, so off I went. On my way to the lady over there, I realized I needed to buy some other stuff, so I went and selected the items and returned back to the lady over there.

I was almost to the lady over there when another lady in a blue vest started yelling at me. She told me I wasn’t allowed to bring that (propane tank) in here and that I should leave it outside.

And now we take time out for the real county music lyric of the day…

We don't like to go out shoppin',
We don't care what's on sale.
We just want to sit with a bag full of chips,
Watchin' the NFL.
When you come over at half-time,
An' say: "Does this dress fit too tight?"
We just look you in the eye with a big fat lie,
An say: "Uh, uh: Looks just right."

Well, that's the truth about men.
Yeah, that's the truth about us.
We like to hunt and golf on our days off,
Scratch, an' spit, an cuss.
It don't matter what line we hand you,
When we come draggin' in.
We ain't wrong; we ain't sorry,
An' it's probably gonna happen again.


Back to the story. I told her that the guy at the door told me it was okay. “He doesn’t know what he’s doing, he just tends to the shopping carts” she said, “What if someone had a cigarette in here? You got to get out of here with that.”

Well, I thought, there are signs that say “No smoking” but there are none that say “No propane tanks” and it isn’t my fault the greeter/shopping cart guy doesn’t know what he is doing, but I just smiled at the lady in the blue vest.

After she calmed down and I got to the cashier to pay, I realized I had forgotten my money clip out in my car.

“I’ll be right back,” I said and then ran out into the parking lot, leaving the propane tank and Nyquil on the counter.