Wednesday, January 2, 2008

After a couple of thousand of them, I’ve decided…

The beer here sucks.

I’m tired of drinking this thin, nasty smelling concoction that they put in bottles and call beer. The best of a horrifying lot is the Presidente brand. It’s a pilsner. I can enjoy it if the mug is freezing, the beer is almost frozen and I have just finished crossing the Sahara Desert eating saltine crackers while wearing a snowmobile suit.

But only if there is nothing else available, like antifreeze or seawater.

Presidente does come in a “Light” version, but to me that is just the same sewer water with fewer calories. And if my standards are so low that I’m drinking this crap, what do I care about my waistline?

There are other beers here in the Dominican Republic, but it’s all the same recipe. Open bottle, pour in water from the fish tank, carbonate (a bit) and serve.

Presidente really is the best you can get here. Somewhere, someone wishes they could get a cold Presidente, I’m sure. Like the Hanoi Hilton.

And yes, I know…I don’t have to drink beer. But what else am I going to do with it?