Saturday, January 26, 2008

After a large order of cheese fries and four cokes, I've decided...

I’m a skeptic on the subject of cholesterol medicine. I’ve gotten cholesterol readings that would be a good three game bowling series. I still don’t take the stuff.

HDL, LDL, I don’t know the difference. I don’t care either. It’s all just a scam. I’ve been saying it for years. I’ll keep saying it.

We recently heard the advice of a doctor as relayed to someone who frequents our resort.

“He just told me to buy bigger clothes and remember to take my pills,” he explained.

I should have gone to medical school. Or maybe I didn’t need to, if this is on the cutting edge of medical science. This is as good as the psychiatrist telling you that it is just all in your head.

Maybe the doctor figured worrying about your cholesterol takes years off your life. Maybe it does. But the person who relayed this to us won’t be buying bigger clothes unless the XXXXL Size makes a comeback at Sears. The advice this guy needed was to quit eating until he could see his shoes without the aid of a full length mirror.

But he seemed to think that was sound medical advice.

Here’s what I think:

Don’t eat if you are not hungry. Have a diet balanced with fruits, vegetables and fiber. Try to move around occasionally (known as exercise if you don’t already move around on a regular basis). Laugh. Cry. Be normal. Enjoy things in moderation.

And stop thinking medical science is the answer.