Monday, January 7, 2008

I don't exercise because I don't own any Lycra Spandex...

On my way to work each morning I see people out walking. You can always tell the difference between people walking to go somewhere and people walking for exercise (besides the fact that when you offer the exercisers a ride, they swear at you).

Speed is one factor. The exercisers walk like someone hoping to someday be a candidate for hip replacement surgery.

People walking for exercise usually have an Ipod (or equivalent) device strapped to their body.

While walking, they don’t look around, they don’t wave hello. I worry about them tripping over a small dog or walking into a tree.

Some people walking for exercise stuff themselves into ill-fitting attire. I guess they are saying, “Hey! Soon I’ll be able to wear this AND exhale!”

(maybe they bought the outfit back when they didn’t need to exercise)

I once joined a health club. It was about $100 initiation and $70 a month. It was about a three minute car ride from the house with no lights or stop signs on the route. It had a pool, some workout machines and a few TV’s to watch while you worked out. No one was ever there.

Even with all that, after a year, I dropped out. I didn’t lose any weight. All I lost was $70 a month.

With the money I saved, I bought bigger clothes, a deep-fryer and some Prozac.