Tuesday, January 15, 2008

International Commerce...

On the drive into the town of La Romana (between the bridge and Jumbo Grocery store if you have Google Earth) there are street vendors. They sell phone cards, newspapers, and of course, super glue.

That’s right, super glue. They don’t seem to try to sell it to the locals, just the gringos that drive by.

I must look like I just broke a lamp.

Today when I drove in, a guy was selling razors. I’m working on a two or three-day goatee right now (just decided Sunday to let it go for a while) and my vendor was pretty sure of a sale as he ran full tilt toward my car.

He had the biggest grin on his face. He HAD a sale. He just knew it. This guy needs a shave, he thought. I could see him calculating his price. He was going to really stick it to me.

When he arrived, I assured him I looked pretty good like this and wasn’t going to decide at a red light to give it up. He looked at me incredulously, like I was a complete moron. Just then, a different guy appeared from nowhere and cleaned my windshield. It needed it. I gave him six pesos. This made my windshield guy very happy but in turn angered the super glue guy who was approaching rapidly. How dare I get a clean windshield when I could glue my fingers together?

I waved him off, told the guy with the newspaper I couldn’t read and when the light turned I beat it out of there.

When I got home Gracie asked me why I hadn’t washed my face. I told her it was hair. She told me to go wash my face.

I just love that little girl.