Monday, May 12, 2008

Golf as philosophy...

I thought I had a pretty good day going Saturday on the golf course. I was three-under par with five to play.

This would be good enough to win, I figured. I don’t know that I played it safe from then on, but I certainly wasn’t aggressive. I made two bogeys on the way in and posted a 70 (it’s a par 71).

I was disappointed I didn’t finish well, but it would be good enough to win.

Wrong.

Someone shot 66. So all the time I thought I needed to protect my “lead” I was really getting my butt kicked.

We do that with a lot of things. We try to hold on to something instead of reaching for something better. And in the end, we wished we’d taken the chance to be all that we could have been instead of all that would be “good enough.”

It was a lapse from my usual "playing it safe" that got me two wonderful children.

I hope I remember this…both on the golf course and off.