Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The history of the automobile...mine that is...

My first car was a 1977 Plymouth Horizon. It cost me $500. I bought it from my parents. It needed about $250 worth of work. I pushed it occasionally.

My next car was a 1980 Renault Le Car. It had alternator problems. This was the best thing about it. Eventually, I sold it for $50 to a junkyard…that same day I bought a pair of golf shoes for $54.

Then I got a 1986 Renault Alliance (car of the year in 1988). It was fine for about 120,000 miles and one horrendous head-on collision with a drunken motorcycle driver. It died one day at the mechanic while in for a routine oil change. I didn't even get to say goodbye.

A 1991 Chevy Geo was next. It was great. Got 50 miles to the gallon and ran for 112,000 miles. The savings outweighed the ridicule, but not by much.

Then a 1993 Nissan 240 SX…I loved that car. Died on the way back from my wedding.

1998 Toyota 4-runner…it was a fleet car for the state of New Hampshire before I bought it. You can guess how that worked out. I now use the internet to look these things up before I impulse buy them.

2004 Toyota Corolla. Sold it to my mother-in-law. She still drives it.

Which brings me to yesterday.

2007 Chevy Uplander Mini-Van.

Sigh…