Wednesday, May 28, 2008

I once tried to sell him for $50 on the internet...

About six and a half years ago, I was sitting right here, watching TV.

(I didn’t have a blog back then…I’m not sure who did...so I watched TV)

A mouse appeared in the house from through the fireplace. He looked around and then returned back to the outside.

The next week, while on a road trip, I got a phone call from Holli telling me about the mouse and asking what should we do...

I don’t remember my recommendation (I think it involved doing nothing) but we didn’t follow it. We got a cat. His name was Hank. Big, orange cat with only half a tail. Got him from the humane society.

Hank wasn't humane to the animal world. Hank killed things…mice, birds, rabbits, squirrels. He was, in the cat world, a bad ass.

When we moved away, the house-sitters always had an agreement. Stay out of my liquor and take care of Hank. He was part of the deal. People from the neighborhood have, at times, tried to adopt him, but he keeps coming back to our house.

We got here last night. About an hour ago, I heard a cat at the back door. I gave him a rub behind the ears and a little food.

The liquor is all gone, but thankfully, Hank is still around.