Monday, September 29, 2008

I can now laugh about crying over this...

I really like chicken wings, buffalo style.

I have traveled the earth (part of it anyway) and on the way, I have tried to find wings wherever I could. The farther south you go, the less chance you have of good wings. This has been my experience. And if you go really far south, like the Caribbean, forget it.

In college, I lived near a fabulous place to get wings. Never done better since. But I still try. But I have a few rules.

1. Has to be in a place that serves beer.

2. Not at Pizza Hut. They make pizza. I know they have this huge wing promotion going on right now…but nope. Besides, in this town, it would violate rule number 1.

3. I usually get the next to hottest, not the hottest. When you get the hottest, someone in the kitchen sneers and says, “Who does this guy think he is? Let’s torch his…”

I’ve been at the wrong end of a torching a few times, creating free entertainment for my companions as tears ran down my face and I begged for ice cream.

(it was pretty much my fault every time. I say this due to the fact that each time I laughed and said, “tell the chef to make them as hot as he wants,” when they asked how hot I wanted them…they’ve always had one thing in common…habenero peppers…but I am getting smarter…I haven’t made a statement like this since 2000…I don’t think)

Also, the next to the hottest usually has better flavor than the hottest. I always get some brand of hot…no BBQ or teriyaki

And finally, 4. No ranch, no blue cheese. A side of the hot sauce is preferred. I might have some celery.