Monday, September 1, 2008

And I told the guy selling long distance service I was headed to prison...

One of the things about moving back to the United States of America is that we get calls from telemarketers again.

(we may have gotten them in the Dominican Republic, but I never knew what anyone was saying on the phone)

I really missed them.

It’s a spontaneous chance to have a little fun with people whose employers have no regard for your time or family life.

I told the newspaper people I couldn't read and if they could have someone come and read the paper for me, I’d be happy to take it.

I told the credit card people I couldn’t believe they’d give me a card after my two bankruptcies and I hoped they’d send it right away.

I told they guy selling software that I didn’t have any “windows” in my house (it was a cinder-block building I explained) so I guessed I couldn’t use their product.

But my favorite is what a friend of mine did.

He listened patiently while the person selling the time share in Myrtle Beach droned on and on. He didn’t hang up when they said it would only cost him about $300,000 to take advantage of this “opportunity of a lifetime.”

He asked exactly where in Myrtle Beach the time share was located. The guy thought he had a sale.

Then he asked if the guy on the phone how far that was from the bus station.