Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Corrugatiphobia...

The defining product of the last couple of months of my life has been the cardboard box.

Boxes to move, boxes new stuff comes in as we decorate our home. Boxes to unpack. Boxes from Amazon.com to open. I bought a cordless drill yesterday. It had three boxes, the outer box, the inner box for the charger, and another box for the power supply.

(It doesn’t help that when you buy something they tell you to keep the box in case you need to return it. So I have a bunch of boxes just waiting, indefinitely it seems…it’s a never-ending insurance policy that you can't throw away.)

There’s a bunch of boxes in my office, the box the printer came in, a box for the new computer, and a box for the new production studio that we ordered. Boxes for file folders, a box for a modem, and a box for a phone that we haven’t plugged in yet.

At home there are just-opened big boxes in the attic/second floor of the house (HVAC being installed) and boxes that have stuff stored in them from the previous owner of our house. There’s one box up there with just boxes in them.

I have the box the Wii came in. I have the little boxes and the big box. I have the box that the DVD/CD (or whatever it is) that has the software.

The satellite receiver boxes are in the closet, next to 15 dozen golf balls (in boxes of course). We have boxes for cereal, detergent, zip lock bags and aluminum foil.

Google has over 2 million sites that you can get by typing “Cardboard Box” into the search. And now they have one more. This is the last thing I wanted.

I’m surrounded.