Monday, August 18, 2008

I’ve often wondered what it tasted like…

Liberal arts colleges in the United States pride themselves on diversity.

The liberal arts college I went to was no different. We had Japanese Culture Week, among others. We had a taco bar in the cafeteria. The student union had light beer.

But, when it came to campus housing, they tried not to take it too far. There were numerous Greek houses (making up 68% of the students) and a few other houses. There was a dorm for high academics, there was a dorm for basketball players, etc.

There were a few leftovers. People who, after everyone was stereotyped and put into their places, didn’t have any category to fit into.

My first year there I lived in the “dorm for those who didn’t fit it to any other category.” Across the hall from us was the son of a preacher man and a crazy kid who only lasted about three weeks…but during the three weeks he was there he managed to paint a mural that covered the entire west wall of his room.

Also in my “cube” was a religious studies major who was an atheist, a guy from Pakistan who had a picture of the Ayatolla Khomeni on his wall, and a very unusual guy who once drank the water-like substance from the fire extinguisher.

As my flashbacks continue, I’ll have more on this.