Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The second only child...

I’ve never mentioned it before, but I have a brother.

He was born just before I turned 14.

I was sitting at the dining room table one fall afternoon when my parents informed me that they had decided the experiment of 1967 was to be repeated in the 80’s. Not sure if it was because it finally appeared it was a worthwhile thing, or that they decided that even a bad idea needed to be given two chances.

Anyway, by the time he was getting interesting, I was gone, off on my own. Now that I’m back (although I’m not sure if I’ve gotten interesting), he’s gone, off on his own.

Note: I went six years of college to get an undergrad degree from a liberal arts college. He spent his six years (maybe seven) of higher education getting an undergrad degree, a masters degree and a doctorate in biology, mostly for doing awful things to rodents in hopes of finding out something important. He explained it to me once, but it didn’t take. He sent me a copy of the thesis he wrote…the only words in the title that I understood were Siberian and Hampster.

After getting his doctorate, he moved to Atlanta and is doing equally horrible things to other rodents as part of an obesity study, which has to make for interesting converstation he has with total strangers at the local Ben and Jerry's.

His greatest fear (supposedly) was that he would have to take over the radio station one day. My greatest fear (since 10th grade) was that I’d have to take Biology again.

So far, it’s working out.