Tuesday, August 5, 2008

A glimmer of hope at the end of a hyphen-laden-rant...

It’s a sorry world.

You can’t buy gas without paying before you pump. The dirt bags that drive off without paying have ruined it for the rest of us. Back in the good old days, I got gas, then grabbed a drink and a snack and continued on my way. Now, since I would have to pay twice to accomplish this, I just pump and hit the road.

(maybe it’s a weight loss program…but the sales of Pepsi and Beef Jerky must be taking a hit)

And every time I go (only when I must) to the national-giant-run-everyone-else-out-of-business-monopoly-store (WalMart), they check my receipt when I leave. They greet me when I come in, but act like I’m Willie Sutton when I leave. Instead of “Hi, Welcome to WalMart!” I’d rather they tell me, “We’re keeping an eye on you, make sure you don’t steal anything, you punk.”

(I’d at least feel like they were being honest with me.)

However, the apostasy is not complete. Here in our small town, there is one gas station (that I know of) that lets you pump gas then pay. Also, at the local not-yet-run-out-of-business-by-the-evil-overlord-Grocery-store, they couldn’t be nicer, they bag the groceries for you and they have Moon Pies three for a $1.