Thursday, August 28, 2008

It doesn’t hold you hostage or point a gun to your head

It’s the Real Country Music lyric of the day (complete with commentary):
Hank, why do you drink? Why do you smoke?
Why must you live out the songs that you wrote?

I heard this song today and it caused me to consider my own reasons for "drinking." Well, I don’t have any. I drink beverages, like everyone else, and some of them happen to have alcohol in them.

I don’t drink to stop the voices in my head, I don’t drink to start the voices in my head.

I like a beer (or two) at the end of a day…but not every day. I like wine with a meal, but not every meal. I like a shot of tequila before a good Mexican meal…

Buffalo Wings need beer.

There are people who have wrecked their lives (and the lives of those around them) with the misuse of alcohol. Usually though, they say alcohol wrecked their lives.

Alcohol just sits there. If you say you MUST put a glass (with alcohol in it) to your lips and drink...the New England Journal of Medicine would like to study your involuntary muscle spasms for their next issue.

And since it alone can’t wreck your life, not drinking it can’t save your life. We may disagree on how salvation (and what it means to you) works, but I think we agree it’s not gained by NOT doing something.

If you are a jerk while drinking, odds are you’ll be a bigger one even if you quit. And you might be less fun.

So don’t blame alcohol. Take a good look in the mirror and blame the cigarette companies instead.