Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Any Given Sunday

We’re thinking of changing churches.

Currently, we are going to a church in a denomination that we agree with completely, but it’s about 35 minutes away and has purchased land to build on that will be about five to seven more minutes away. So we’re looking at 40 minutes to a town we are never in except on Sunday. The people there are great, but we aren’t getting to know anyone or having any instances of “iron sharpening iron.” I need to be held to some kind of accountability so I can feel guilty when I ignore it.

We don’t blame them. You can’t just go on Sunday and have this kind of experience. They are just too far away for us to connect with.

One of our choices here in town are the folks that are against wine and beer sales at the Wal-Mart (and everywhere else if they can help it) and need you to hold your breath in order to satisfy one of the Sacraments without risk of cardiac arrest. And I hate casseroles.

Their website says they have a contemporary service, but when I called to find out what that meant, the lady didn’t know, as she doesn’t go to “that one.” She was pretty sure they worshipped God, but with different music, I’m told. And I could wear my blue jeans. She wasn’t sure about flip-flops.

We, of course, could go to the local office of the worldwide papal dictator, but I have germ issues in regards to drinking from the same cup as 55 other people. I can’t figure out what I’m supposed to say at what time and I have bad knees.

We've been there to visit (Ash Wednesday) but we aren’t Catholic.

And, I really don’t trust a minister/preacher/priest that isn’t married. The way I see it, he has no idea of what true humility feels like. I’ve always figured if you went to counseling with him, he’d tell you his secret was complete control of the remote control, not having to tell anyone what he was thinking and never buying the wrong type of garbage bags/carrots/dishwashing detergent.

And besides, I think I’d be the tallest in my catechism class.