Monday, March 30, 2009

If only someone had told us to “be careful” before we left home...

We parked our car about six blocks from the Hard Rock Café in an alley marked “no parking” on the wall and with a battered sign that read “not responsible for damage or theft” lying on the ground. I left the doors unlocked, the windows down and my GPS sitting on the dashboard.

As we walked the six blocks of mostly empty streets, I pulled out my wad of cash and counted it, nodding hello to passers-by.

We stopped in a convenience store and I bought a coke with a hundred dollar bill, remarking aloud to Holli that I hoped we wouldn’t spend all of the thousand dollars we brought with us.

We weren’t worried. After all, Memphis is #2 in violent crimes…not #1.

We drank heavily. We told strangers our life stories.

About 2 am, we weaved back to the car singing loudly.