Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Actually, 43,560...

I looked it up…there are over 43,000 square feet in an acre.

This came as very bad news to me, since I had just found an artificial grass that only costs $7 or so a square foot (or $301,000 for the whole thing) and as I figure I have about an acre of grassed area it killed my plans for a plastic (and maintenance free) yard.

It’s better than a swimming pool, which I found is about $50 a square foot (or $2.1 million).

I had some other options:
Tile – about $5.50 a square foot…survey says…$238,150
Carpeting – at $22 a square yard (installed) it would be $105,652.
Linoleum – about $3 a square foot…$129,000

Obviously, these were all too expensive. But then I found a way to do it.

I plant corn. An acre yields about 183 bushels…the current price is around $5 per bushel…so that is $915 a year…and (taking out money for seeds and whatnot) I figure I’ll make $300 a year or so…and have my artificial lawn in about a thousand years.

But I’ll never have to mow again.