Friday, June 5, 2009

Twenty summers ago...seems like only 17....

One summer I went to Houston, Texas to work at a driving range.

My boss put me in charge of the driving range at night. I usually worked 5-11 pm, five days a week.

I found out a few weeks after I started the reason I was in charge at night and no one else was around. It seems that armed robbers came to hit balls one night and instead of working on their golf swing like everyone else, they robbed the place, taking money and watches from the patrons and threatening to kill them.

A side note: My car (1987 Renault Alliance - car of the year unless you owned it) didn't have air conditioning.

I was housed during this time by friends of the family, who (much to my surprise) continued to be friends of the family, even when I ruined their bathroom rug and occasionally drank more beer than I bought. I did mow the lawn to try to offset any annoyance I may have been caused, but I think I probably got the better of the deal.