Friday, June 12, 2009

As long as my check doesn't bounce...

I’ve joined the Country Club.

I have been intending to join for a long time, but hadn’t gotten around to it. I’d been playing as a guest (I suppose) for a while but the club helped me decide to join by sending me a bill for May and June. Last week.

I had asked a few people how to join (board members) but none of them had gotten me an application. I was afraid this was a hint as to my “join-ability.”

This subtle hint that I should start paying to play was not lost on me and we quickly joined, breaking my streak of 18 years of “free” golf from my labors in the golf industry.

The club here is staffed by volunteers and a few part-time paid people. The pro shop is unmanned most of the time. In fact, since joining I’ve played twice and no one was there to check me in either time.

But we did the right thing and joined. We can use our own golf cart and walk anytime we want. It’s a far cry from where I used to play, but it’s golf.